Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Rugby England: Cipriani eager to oust Wilko


Cipriani is seen by many as the man to do it. Wales coach Warren Gatland recently predicted the 20-year-old could even become a bigger superstar than Wilkinson.Cipriani allows none of that hype to faze him and is instead determined to learn all he can from Wilkinson - but also put the pressure on."It is obviously going to be a massive task to oust Jonny, he has done everything in the game but I am not coming here as number two," said Cipriani. "It is understandable that whenever Jonny has been fit he has started for England because he has done an amazing job. "Jonny has changed the face of rugby by himself. If I can learn from Jonny that will help me. "I will give it my best shot to improve. I need to make sure there are no doubts about me as a player. "If I was to have a chance to start a game I would do that to the best of my ability. "It is great to hear people like Warren say things like that - but in my eyes I haven't made it yet. I want to get an England cap and then one day be a regular starter."Wilkinson, who today signed a new two-year contract at Newcastle, was only 18 when Clive Woodward gave him his England debut in 1998. Cipriani is 20 but has been long tipped as an England international and, at Wasps, has been learning at the top end of European rugby. Last season, he started at full-back in the Heineken Cup final and only missed out on the World Cup squad, and achieving that long-held ambition, when the final cut was made.

No comments: