Friday, March 21, 2008

Ronaldinho.

Barcelona star Ronaldinho has hit back at his critics, vowing: "They will not destroy me."

Ronaldinho, who has been dogged by injuries this campaign, has seemed a shadow of his former self over the past year.

And discontent with the Brazil international reached a peak on Monday when a scan revealed that he is not suffering from any injury, despite his claims to the contrary.

An official club statement on Monday afternoon confirmed that no evidence of injury could be found by Barcelona's medical staff, but Ronaldinho has slammed reports doubting his commitment to the Catalan giants.

"Apparently there are jealous people who want to destroy me with these rumours," Ronaldinho told Vanity Fair.

"They won't do it. Nobody destroys Ronaldinho.

"No critic in the world can take away my spirit.

"I am so motivated, more than I have been for a long time. Criticism encourages me to be better."

Ronaldinho has played just seven full games in 28 league fixtures so far this season, and has been repeatedly linked with a move away from the Nou Camp - with AC Milan and Chelsea among several clubs waiting to snap him up.

But the 27-year-old has rubbished rumours that he wants to leave Barcelona, vowing to recover his form and fitness to lead them to the Primera Liga crown.

"Barcelona can only win great titles with a strong Ronaldinho," the former World player of the year continued.

"Without titles life is boring, and if you don't play, it's very very frustrating. You can't continue like that.

"This year I want to be a champion with Barcelona, whatever it costs.

"I have a stunning future with this club. The lads are my family. At Barca I am as happy as I was the first day.

"I want to stay here and I will do everything possible to be the best again."

Coach Frank Rijkaard omitted the Brazilian from Thursday's Copa del Rey semi-final return leg at Valencia, saying he was not fit for the tie.

"(Wednesday) was the first day (Ronaldinho) has trained with the team for several days," Rijkaard told club website www.fcbarcelona.cat.

"He wanted to play but we left him out as a precautionary measure.

No comments: