Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The terror is back

The selectors have opted for a youthful squad for the series with Australia and Sri Lanka, handing opportunities to 22-year-old Raina, batsman Rohit Sharma, all-rounder Praveen Kumar and leg-spinner Piyush Chawla, whilst dropping the experienced Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman.And in-form Raina, who played his last one-day international a year ago, is now focusing on the opportunity to secure a permanent place in the side. "I have been batting well this season and was confident of regaining a place in Team India after all the runs I have made in domestic cricket,Now I have a new challenge in front of me. I need to prove myself all over again and cement my place in the ODI team. I am confident I will do well on the bouncy pitches there." Raina has yet to live up to his potential in the limited-overs format, amassing just 612 runs from 36 ODIs at an average of 26, though this series will offer him his first chance in Australian conditions.

No comments: